Sunday, September 1, 2013

Mini Adventures

Last Sunday a group of us decided to take a stroll off the ship.  We were told the beach was within walking distance, just turn right at the train station and then you'll see it.  It was rather nerve-wracking walking the unfamiliar streets for the first time, but I found some solace in the fact that there were five of us.  Strength in numbers, right?  There doesn't seem to be many rules when it comes to driving, so a short walk - aka dodging the traffic - can actually be considered an adventure to a Pointe-Noire newcomer.  Trucks whizzing by and taxi's trying to offer their services are just a couple of the typical sights.  Now throw in dusty streets, run down buildings, some street vendors and a handful of random chickens along the side of the road - definitely counts as an adventure.  :)
 

Watch out for the random holes in the side of the road!
 
 
It's no Jeep dealership, but I guess it will do...
 
Thankfully it wasn't much of a walk and we successfully made it to the beach.  I think I mentioned this in one of my recent posts, but instead of seeing the typical half naked American beach bum sunbathing on a blanket with the ipod playing and a cooler within reach, I saw countless fully clothed Congolese people standing and conversing with one another.  (What a foreign idea - enjoying actual conversations on the beach haha).  A few were taking some photos while I noticed others trying to sell things.  It was quite the contrast - I sure wasn't in New England anymore.


  
 
Even though the hair on my arm raised a little bit each time I hurried past an open taxi bus (I think I've watched Taken too many times), overall it seemed like a relatively safe area.  Safe enough to take another couple of adventures this weekend.  Yesterday four of us decided to try the "Grand Market."  This time we caught the Mercy Ship shuttle to the train station and then walked the rest of the way to the market.  I'm pretty sure we only saw about half of what the market had to offer, but we all decided that the half we saw was enough for the first market trip.  Stimulation was definitely at its peak.  Tons of people, lots of items to buy, tons of people, lots of food, and did I mention - quite a few people.  It was times like those that I really wished I knew the French language.  It was fun nonetheless and I am excited to go back - next time I'll be prepared to do a little negotiating...maybe.



We found Mercy Ship posters in the market!!!
 
 
  
 
On our way back to the ship we made our way into N'Ice Ice, the ice cream shop that everybody onboard raved about...It was delicious!
 
Today a group of volunteers went to two of the nearby churches.  One was the Assembly of God and the other was the Our Lady Cathedral  (a Catholic church).  As I was riding in the shuttle to the cathedral, I realized the church was quite close to the ship; maybe next time I'll brave the walk.  Although it was all in French, a Catholic mass is a Catholic mass, so thankfully I felt as though I could follow along fairly well.  The church appeared to be a relatively sturdy building, open doorways on all sides for people to filter in through.  The pews and kneelers were simple but seemed to fit just right.  And best of all, the church was packed with people.  Not to get all mushy, but I think that's one of my favorite sights - a full church.  It doesn't matter where you are or what you believe - to see a place of worship filled with people who have a belief in something greater than themselves is just moving.
 
 
 
I'm sure I'll have more exciting adventures to tell you about in the next few months - but I decided to start off slow and steady.   :)

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures and glad to see and hear about your varied experiences. So glad to hear your thoughts about Church and Mass. We are praying for you and for those that you work with and those that you serve! Mary

    ReplyDelete