Wednesday, September 4, 2013

D Ward and the ICU

My daily commute to work here on the ship is about 5 minutes - and that's if I walk at a snails pace down the hall, down one flight of stairs, and through the doorway.  It's the closest commute I've ever had, and probably will ever have.  I will absolutely enjoy it while it lasts.  I have to admit, I am quite impressed with the hospital on Deck 3.  It is fairly well equipped with monitors and vents, papers are organized accordingly, and patient beds are neatly made ready to be of use.  I will be working in "D Ward" as well as the "ICU" when needed.  D Ward is where all the maxillo-facial patients will go before and after their surgeries.  The cleft lips and palates, the facial tumors, encephaloceles, among others, will most likely be filling up these bed spaces.  Thankfully, there are a bunch of adult and pediatric icu nurses here on board, which makes me feel a bit more comfortable.  And it seems to be a good mix of return volunteers and newbies (like me) so I think it will be a pretty neat experience. 

Here's a tiny preview of the wards I'll be working on for the next few months - I was able to sneak a few pictures in before any patients showed up...

I almost feel spoiled - we have legit trash cans, biohazard bins, and sharps containers!  And not only are there isolation gowns - there are isolation rooms!  Look - Steph, Kara, Tom, Sofia, Sarah, Autumn, Jen, and Nate - No TB being blown via fan into the ICU on Mercy Ships hahaha... 




 I realize this is the start of the field service - but look how organized one of the "Omni cells" is!

Hopefully this won't get used too much, but at least it's available :)

1 comment: