Friday, July 19, 2013

A Few Close Calls

Aside from meeting a ridiculous amount of people from all over, one of the coolest things about travel nursing is the amount of places I have gotten to visit.  Never did I think I'd walk across the Golden Gate Bridge or sink my toes in the sand of a San Diego beach.  I love how I can say I've seen the Yankees, Giants, Padres, Athletics, Phillies, and Red Sox play on their home field (I'm determined to continue to lengthen that list).  Sofia and I packed our months full of adventure - filling up in wine country to losing money in Vegas, dancing at a rodeo to driving through the Smokies.

Traveling has given me a little extra kick to get out and do things.  This new sense of adventure has sort of taken over and I reluctantly admit, it has also gotten me into some sticky situations.  Not to be over dramatic, but perhaps near death situations would be a fair description...Thankfully I have somehow made it out alive, which just goes to prove that the adventures can continue - right?

Here are a few instances where I found myself a tad outside my comfort zone.  Somehow I not only managed, but I also learned a little bit about myself and my surroundings.

Haiti #1 - We were working in a tent hospital with very few resources at hand.  Babies shared bili lights and computer charting was nonexistent.  We ran out of oxygen one night and were told - what we had was what we got.  MacGyver nursing suddenly became a part of me - I am forever grateful.

 


Haiti #2 - The tent hospital had since transitioned to an actual building.  They had opened up a clinic along with the inpatient wards that already existed.  About three days into the trip, we were told by the physician in charge that the election was going to happen during the week and it may get a little dicey around the hospital.  No sooner, we were hanging out on the roof of the building watching the clouds of smoke rise from the fires that were set along the city streets in response to the election.  It was so unsettled outside the hospital gates that they shut down the clinic and were quite strict about who came in/out.  They also completely shut down the airport - nobody was to come in or out of Haiti!  We didn't know how long these new arrangements were going to last, so to say we were a bit nervous would be quite an understatement.  I even had somebody turn and say to me, "Don't worry, you guys will make it home by Christmas."  Seriously?!?! Not really comforting words at that moment.  In the midst of all the rioting, however, the Haitian nurses still made the hour long walk so they could come and work a full day - and not once did I hear a complaint.  That week I learned, among other things, how lucky I am to live in an area that is free of the violence that I was witness to.  I saw the dedication in the work of the volunteers and Haitian staff despite the feelings of uneasiness and fear that was shared by all.




WCWS - I have always wanted to go to Oklahoma City to see the Women's College World Series - it's just been one of those things on my long bucket list.  This year I decided was the perfect chance.  I tried to recruit a couple friends for the road trip but couldn't quite convince them.  A couple years ago, I would have just thrown the idea out and told myself - eh, maybe another time.  Needless to say, I've changed a little bit.  I went ahead and bought the tickets and mapped out my trip.  I had heard about the tornadoes and knew that Moore, OK was close to the city, but I think I was trying to kid myself into thinking it wasn't thaaaat close.  Once I made my way into OK, I figured out real quick that I was in Tornado Alley...alone.  Give me a hurricane or a blizzard - I know what to do, a tornado - no clue.  I've heard sirens go off before, but until that trip I had never heard the "freight train" wind that people often speak of.  Well friends, it's true - that's exactly what it sounds like.  I found myself "taking cover" in a basement of a public building.  That was quite an experience.  I thoroughly enjoyed the games, but I think maybe next time I would rather skip out on the tornado business.  During that little solo road trip of mine, I learned how to survive another test from Mother Nature.  I was also able to witness the sense of community felt by all the survivors of the previous tornadoes that bombarded that area.  The devastation was intense, but the support that each person displayed was remarkable.


 




TN Tubing - This one, you just need to go to Laura's blog: http://lauranemeth.blogspot.com/2013/07/heading-more-east.html.
She described our day very well.  I hate to admit, but we were those girls who you look at and say, "Why the heck didn't they have life jackets and helmets on?!?!"  We had a couple of close calls on that little river trip - but somehow we survived to talk about them.  I learned that no matter how scary that mountain man may look, sometimes ya just gotta ask him for directions - as long as you are with two others.  That way, if anything goes wrong, chances of survival are much greater - there is always strength in numbers.    :)


1 comment:

  1. Next, a future home game for the Rockies at Coors Field!

    ReplyDelete